Oklahoma Agriculture Blog

Oklahoma’s Official Agricultural Information Site

General Use Pesticide Permit: Does your business need a license?

Posted by arthur1234 on February 4, 2009

Any business that sells pesticides is required to obtain a license to sell these products. This program is now being implemented by Consumer Protection Services.

Pesticides are defined as ” … a substance or mixture of substances intended for defoliating or desiccating plants, preventing fruit drop, inhibiting sprouting, or for preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any insects, rodents, fungi, bacteria, weeds, or other forms of plant or animal life or viruses, which the Board declares to be a pest, except viruses on or in humans or animals.” according to Title 2 of the Oklahoma Statutes, Section 3-81(34). Most pesticides will have an EPA registration number on the container.

For your convienence, here is a complete list from the ODAFF website.

If pesticides are sold at your business, please fill out the form and return to the Department with the appropriate application fee. Please note that a separate application fee is required for each location of the business, but each business location can be listed on the same application form.

3 Responses to “General Use Pesticide Permit: Does your business need a license?”

  1. michael clark said

    I’m considering operating a business where i would advertise and go around and spray pesticides in residential areas to kill cochroaches and termites. i will not be selling anything other than my services. would i need a license or permit to do this?
    please email me at.
    at your earliest convenience, thank you.

  2. carson4575 said

    I have forwarded your request to Consumer Protection for their official answer. I believe an applicator’s license will be required but I will let them give the official response. Thank you for your question!

  3. carson4575 said

    Dear Mr. Clark:

    Yes, you will need a Commercial Applicator’s License. You can get this license from our Agency. To obtain a Commercial Applicator’s license you will need to have the following:

    Complete the application form in its entirety.
    Submit $100.00 for each category of application (i.e. General Pest, cockroaches and Structural Pest, termites). This comes to a total of $200.00 and will expire on December 31 of each year.
    You will need a certified applicator for each category. This will require a certified applicator for General Pest and a certified applicator for Structural Pest. Applicators may become certified by testing and making at least 70% on the written exams. The applicator will be required to take a Core exam and a Category exam for each category. Study material may be ordered from your local County Extension Center. The cost for each examination is $50.00. After successfully completing the written examinations, the applicant is required to complete a practical examination for both General Pest and Structural Pest. You may go to our website to see when these practical examinations are scheduled so that arrangements can be made to attend at the following link http://pested.okstate.edu/practical.htm. After successful completion of the practical exams, a certified applicator certification will be given. This certification is good for the balance of the five year cycle and may be renewed for an additional five years thereafter by Continuing Education Units or re-testing.
    Additionally, you are required to show proof of insurance consistent with the requirements of OAC 35:30-17-10. Those requirements can be found in the Oklahoma Combined Law and Rules.
    The following are links to help you find what you need:

    http://www.oda.state.ok.us/forms/cps/apal.pdf – application forms and instructions

    http://www.oda.state.ok.us/forms/cps/coi.pdf – certificate of insurance

    http://www.oda.state.ok.us/forms/cps/cpl.pdf – Oklahoma Combined Law and Rules

    http://pested.okstate.edu/ – OSU Pest Education Study Materials

    http://www.oda.state.ok.us/forms/cps/testsession.pdf – test session dates and locations


    Bill R. Taylor
    Assistant Director
    Consumer Protection Services Division
    Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry
    405-522-6347 Office
    405-522-5986 Fax
    405-823-2450 Cell

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 213 other followers

%d bloggers like this: